Capacity Building Grants
The Ausherman Family Trust provides the Capacity Building Grant Program to assist non-profit organizations in achieving new levels of effectiveness and efficiency. The goal of the Capacity Building Grant funding is to strengthen local nonprofit organizations by helping organizations find resources (consultants) and build systems needed to achieve goals.
Grants may be awarded to Frederick County nonprofit organizations to fortify management and leadership issues that may include:
- Improving the organizations financial management systems, internal controls, and chart of accounts
- Developing a strong board and good leadership
- Assisting with executive transition, succession, and search process
- Conducting strategic planning retreats and developing strategic plans
- Assessing an organization
- Evaluating programs
- Inventorying fund raising capability, developing a fund raising plan and system
- Examining communications and marketing plan and developing a plan to raise the organization's profile among donors, constituents, and the public.
- Assessing and upgrading technological needs
- Developing other plans that would help the organization reach its goals
Qualified consultants will be available to facilitate the organization's progress in achieving the goals set forth in the grant proposal.
The primary focuses of the Ausherman Family Trust center on:
- Arts & Culture
- Children, Youth, & Families
- Christian Missions
- Human Services
- International Development
- Public / Society Benefit
Areas not funded include:
- Animal causes
- Athletics, leisure, recreation
- Areas considered government responsibility
- Charter schools
- Private schools (do fund higher education)
- Frederick County Public Schools
- Public safety, disaster preparedness, and relief
- Political support
- Grant requests less than $2,500
Capacity Building Grants with a Matching Challenge Component
Capacity Building Grants with a matching funds challenge component may be awarded for any of the primary issues mentioned above and require that matching funds be raised before Trust funds are distributed.
The goal of challenge grants that require the raising of matching funds is one way the Trust leads others to give. In particular, the grant's goal is to encourage board members to support the organization and to tease out new contributors and contributions to organizations. Organizations may have a limited time in which to raise matching funds as well as a limited funding pool e.g. in-kind, government funding, and pledges cannot count toward matching funds. In some cases, funds from other Trusts may not be included in the pool of matching funds. Trustees set the matching funds parameters.
To complete a Letter of Inquiry, which is the first step in the application process, click on the Grant Application process on the Foundation's website. Clink on the Capacity Building Grants section and read the detailed parameters and guidelines for the application process. If your request falls qualifies, scroll to the "How to Apply" section, and click on the words, Grant Process.
This will take you to the online grants process. Follow the instructions and complete the letter of inquiry.
Capacity Building Grants are awarded in two cycles: January and July. Due dates for the submission of online letters of Letters of Inquiry are January 30th and July 31st.
Please visit the Ausherman
Family Foundation website to view their Capacity Building
Capacity Building Grants Awarded in Cycle Two 2011
- Cakes for Cause
- Frederick Arts Council
- Frederick Rescue Mission
- Literacy Council of Frederick County
- Maryland Sheriffs' Youth Ranch
- The Delaplaine Visual Arts and Education Center
Capacity Building Grants Awarded in Cycle One 2011
- Downtown Frederick Partnership
- Gale House
- Life & Discovery
- Maryland Shakespeare Festival
- Mental Health
- Mission of Mercy
- Partners in Care
Capacity Building Grants Awarded in Cycle Two 2010
- Community Foundation of Frederick County, Maryland
- Heartly House, Inc.
- The Historical Society of Frederick County
- ThorpeWood, Inc.
Capacity Building Grants Awarded in Cycle One 2010
- Frederick Alliance for Youth
- Frederick Community Action Agency
- Celebrate Frederick
- Civil War Museum
- Habitat for Humanity Frederick County
- Life and Discovery
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre
- Weinberg Center for the Arts